back to top
Navigation Button
Close Menu Button
Phone Icon

Relocation of Minor Children

Are You up for Long-Distance Parenting?

Life after a Florida divorce with children can present many challenges and tough decisions. Among the most complex is a custodial parent's desire to move away with a child, far enough that this move may disrupt the other parent's rights to time sharing and sustained contact. Whether you are considering moving with children or seeking to prevent the other parent from making such a move, you need dependable legal information and guidance from an Orlando attorney for child relocation to help defend your rights.

Resolving Conflicts Amicably if Possible, Aggressively if Needed

At Elkins & Elkins, a child relocation lawyer with experience handling all types of parental disputes in Orlando, and surrounding communities will thoroughly analyze your situation. We understand the pressures our clients face and dedicate our efforts to resolving divorce and family law problems as amicably and affordably as possible. However, we are also dedicated to skilled, aggressive protection of your most important relationships by whatever legal means necessary.

Weighing the Consequences of a Move

It is critical to recognize that judges in Florida family courts focus primarily on serving children's best interests in relocation and removal proceedings. A parent's desire to move for his or her own convenience or other personal goals is not sufficient if the other objects. There is a specific, detailed Florida statute covering parent and child relocation when court orders are in place. Key considerations in your case may include:

  • Whether the proposed move-away — often for purposes of employment, education or proximity to other family members — is supported by sound reasons and likely to be beneficial for children
  • Whether the mother and father can communicate effectively and come to an agreement on a plan that keeps both of them involved in children's lives
  • What modifications to other orders are appropriate and justified if distance from children will make time sharing more challenging and costly

Seek Court Approval Before a Move. Contact Us Today to Discuss Your Options.

Moving children without the appropriate court's approval can lead to the parent being held in contempt and ordered to return. Criminal charges are also possible. On the other hand, the decision to contest a relocation petition must be made in a timely fashion and with solid grounds. To discuss your specific circumstances and the best strategy for you, schedule a free consultation with an attorney in Orlando or at one of our two other Central Florida offices today.



If your debt has gotten out of control, the pressures you are facing every day and night can be...


Personal Injury

An accident caused by someone else's negligence can be devastating, potentially causing head injuries...



The Elkins & Freedman law firm was effective, responsive, and knowledgeable to me during my dire family law situation. Before hiring Mr. Elkins, my ex-girlfriend/mother of my child was not letting me see my child. After hiring Mr. Elkins, I got my child at least half the time. I was most impressed with Mr. Elkins ability and willingness to directly level with my ex-girlfriend/mother of my child, whom initially was uncooperative and not represented. I sincerely felt that Mr. Elkins was my advocate and he got the job done. I highly recommend Mr. Elkins and the Elkins & Freedman law firm to anyone who needs legal representation.

Kendall G.

We Can Help You

Fill out the form below to contact an experienced attorney.



1420 Celebration Blvd. Suite 200
Celebration, FL 34747
Phone: 407-830-1177


7380 W. Sand Lake Rd. Suite 500
Orlando, FL 32819
Phone: 407-830-1177

Altamonte Springs

283 Cranes Roost Blvd. Suite 111
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
Phone: 407-830-1177